Welcome are the passionately curious

"There was one Elephant--a new Elephant--an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions. And he lived in Africa, and he filled all Africa with his 'satiable curiosities." Rudyard Kipling

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Laid Me Down {draft 3}

to sleep and did not know the wolf to fear.
I lay me down, and sleep comes no more, for
The light that glares within the wolf’s eye is
Too near and never will sleep.

I lay me down and sleep, for nearer still
The shepherd sees me this night and he sees
The wolf, who never will understand nor
Can ever overwhelm this other light
And will come not a step closer.

It was in vain to wake, rise early and
In vain to stay the wolf with darting, watching eyes,
In vain to eat my daily bread in snatches and fear.

I have laid me down
because He gave me, beloved, sleep.

{inspired by Psalm 4:8; 23; 91:5-6; 121:4; 127:2; John 1:5; 10:1-18; and personal experience}

No comments:

Post a Comment