Welcome are the passionately curious

"There was one Elephant--a new Elephant--an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions. And he lived in Africa, and he filled all Africa with his 'satiable curiosities." Rudyard Kipling

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Origin

Origins, Listed
I’m from a tobacco barn,
from a long line of March lilies
and cockle-burrs. I hail from
the oak and maple trees and
the wrong side of the law.
From that box filled with tapes
of Beethoven and Chopin,
from battlements of Legos, a wall of mud graffiti.
I’m from that flit of Zorro’s cape,
the tightrope of railroad ties,
Prince Edward Island,
And behind the back
of a northern wind
From at least two acres of chamomile,
half a shelf of Philips commentaries,
and a collection of teacups—
there beside the pink one
my brother gave me.
I came from the snap and crack
of a thunderstorm,
a rivulet of rose quartz
veining through the heart of a black hill,
and a safe-hold for
the treasures of the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment